03 June 2008

A Pair Of Notes From The Democratic Candidates

Just checked my Hotmail in-box a little while ago, and found, among the usual junk, these two on-line form letters from the Obama and Clinton campaigns respectively.

Note the folksy, yet artificial, style of the wording in these, thanking me for achievements and inspiration that I never provided either candidate, as I didn't work for, nor provide inspiration, advice, nor anything else to them during their fight for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Me, I was an Edwards supporter and delegate, one of four such, at my neighbourhood caucus back in January, and switched over to Obama only because there weren't enough Edwards' supporters there to make up a quorum.

That was that, and haven't been active since, to be honest.

So, I find any form letter in which I am thanked for efforts and contributions I didn't make to be risible, to say the least.

I won't presume to say I know what's going on the candidates' heads at this moment, but I know what's going on in mine, and that's the feeling of relief that that particularly ugly little bit of sordidness is now over.

Now, on to the next!!!!! Ohhhhh, boy!!!!

Senator Obama's and Senator Rodham-Clinton's letter texts follow directly below this. Please read 'em and decide for yourselves what you make, or not, of 'em.

Be seeing you.





Donald --

I'm about to take the stage in St. Paul and announce that we have won the Democratic nomination for President of the United States.

It's been a long journey, and we should all pause to thank Hillary Clinton, who made history in this campaign. Our party and our country are better off because of her.

I want to make sure you understand what's ahead of us. Earlier tonight, John McCain outlined a vision of America that's very different from ours -- a vision that continues the disastrous policies of George W. Bush.

But this is our moment. This is our time. Our time to turn the page on the policies of the past and bring new energy and new ideas to the challenges we face. Our time to offer a new direction for the country we love.

It's going to take hard work, but thanks to you and millions of other donors and volunteers, no one has ever been more prepared for such a challenge.

Thank you for everything you've done to get us here. Let's keep making history.

Barack

(Author's note: In the original text, there was a large red button marked "Donate" in white letters directly below this)





Dear Donald,

Over the course of this campaign, I have seen the promise of America in your courage and character, your energy and ingenuity, and your compassion and faith.

Your spirit has inspired me every day in this race. While I traveled this country talking about how I wanted to help you -- time and again, you reached out to help me. To grab my hand or grip my arm, to look me in my eyes and tell me, don't quit, keep fighting, stay in this race for us. There were days when I had strength enough for the both of us -- and on the days I didn't, I leaned on you.

This has always been your campaign, and tonight, there's no one I want to hear from more than you. I hope you're as proud as I am of what we've done and that you'll take a moment to share your thoughts with me now at my website.

I want to congratulate Senator Obama and his supporters on the extraordinary race that they have run. Senator Obama has inspired so many Americans to care about politics and empowered so many more to get involved, and our party and our democracy are stronger and more vibrant as a result.

Whatever path I travel next, I promise I will keep faith with you and everyone I have met across this good and great country. There is no possible way to thank you enough for everything you have done throughout this primary season, and you will always be in my heart.

Sincerely,
Hillary
Hillary Rodham Clinton

No comments: